If you already own a Genesis theme in your WordPress server, you can skip this process.
- After you download the theme file (.zip) to your computer, do not upload this file yet or you will receive this error message “The package could not be installed. The theme is missing the style.css stylesheet.” It means you upload the wrong zip file.
- Unzip/extract the file you have downloaded using Winrar or Winzip (both are free to use).
How to unzip If you are using PC : Right click > Extract Here or Right click > Extract to (Folder name)
How to unzip if you are using Mac : You can follow the tutorial here http://bit.ly/2T819ZT
- After you unzip/extract the file, you will see these files, extract these to your computer (example : your Desktop or Download folder).
- Go to your WordPress admin page, Appearance – Themes.
- Click Add New, then a new page will appear, upload Genesis.zip
- After you successfully uploaded the theme, don’t activate Genesis yet. Return to the Themes Page and continue to install the Genesis child theme.